We have four programs for cataloguing files, some of which allow up to several hundred extended document properties to be included. If you want to catalog your Electronically Stored Information (ESI), then Filecats Standard and Filecats Explore could be for you. However, for an expanded catalog, scroll down to Filecats Professional and Filecats Metadata.
Filecats Standard and Filecats Explore
What do you want from a file cataloger?
- Hyperlinks so you can open both the file and the folder from the catalog?
- The ability to copy all the information into your favorite applications?
- Separate columns for the file name, extension name, folder path, and a combined folder and file name column?
- Separate columns for Date Accessed, Date Created and Date Modified?
- The ability to filter or sort on any column?
- Hide or show folders as separate lines, or show only folders?
- The ability to create analyses?
- And unbelievable speed, up to several thousand files per second, and being able to even catalog hidden and system files?
If so, these programs are for you, as both these programs do this, and more. Filecats Standard is for computers with Microsoft Excel, creating a file catalog which can be saved in spreadsheet form, allowing annotation, sorting, filtering and analyses to be created, and enabling you to send the catalog to others. Filecats Explore doesn’t use Microsoft Excel. Instead, the catalog is created in a self-contained table, for where you can create analyses, and sort and filter on columns. You can also copy and paste information into your documents or favorite programs, including other spreadsheet programs such as Google Spreadsheets or OpenOffice. There is a seven-day free trial, and a 30-day money back guarantee.
- Find out more about Filecats Standard and Filecats Explore, including videos.
- Download Filecats Standard or Filecats Explore today.
- Buy them from $9.99 for 3 months.
Filecats Professional and Filecats Metadata
Filecats Professional and Filecats Metadata can do everything that the above file catalogers do, plus up to several hundred columns more. Whilst the thirteen columns the above programs show are useful, they are far from all of the facts that you need. This additional information is called “Document Properties” or “Metadata”, and are hidden away, only to be shown if a relevant program asks for it, or you search for it.
- Microsoft Word, Excel and Powerpoint documents store information such as the document Title, the person who last saved it as well as who created it, and statistical information such as number of pages, paragraphs, words and letters.
- Photographs and other picture data can include the name of the camera or mobile phone used, and when and where the picture was taken (according to any GPS data).
- Music and video files can have embedded within it the names of any tracks or albums, together with encoding details.
- Emails or other Microsoft Outlook files saved in MSG format can have a lot of metadata included, such as the sender’s name and any recipients, the subject name, names of attachments (including hidden attachments) and the body of the email text.
Not only can these document properties add to the standard data, but sometimes they show that dates shown in Windows Explorer can be misleading. File catalogers generally do not access this information, but metadata extractors do. Filecats Professional and Filecats Metadata are able to read this data and present in a format which allows you to investigate it by filtering, sorting and creating analyses. Filecats Professional imports this metadata into Microsoft Excel, creating a formatted spreadsheet with hyperlinks (including to Google Maps for GPS enabled photographs), whilst Filecats Metadata creates a self-contained table, allowing you to copy and paste or filter on the document properties. Download them today, and enjoy a free seven-day trial.
- Find out more about Filecats Professional and Filecats Metadata, including videos.
- Learn more about document properties.
- Download Filecats Professional or Filecats Metadata.
- Buy from $49.99 for 3 months.